Money's Bid for Control
Jesus fully understood the power of money and its ability to quickly and easily make its way to the throne of our hearts. He said, "No on can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money". Matthew 6:24
Paul wrote to young Timothy, "For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." 1 Timothy 6:10
The Smell of Money's Control
Here are some of the telltale signs that money has burned a hole in your heart:
- Money causes you a great deal of fear and anxiety.
- You find yourself dreaming about somehow coming into a lot of money, and the things you would do with it.
- You envy people who seem to have all the money they need.
- You think of money as the solution to all your problems.
- You look to money for security.
- You evaluate people by their financial success.
Rejecting the Lordship of Money
Jesus make it clear that in order to be His disciple, we must knowingly and consciously reject money as a god in our lives.
Jesus said, "Do not store up for yourselves treasure on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal". Matthew 6:19-20