Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Looking at Difficulties with Forever Eyes

How do you live with a sickness or infirmity that is unexplainable? How do you come to a place of acceptance, understanding, or peace when you or someone you love is caught in the web of a disabled or diseased body or an infirm mind?

It can be a real struggle to see these tough conditions through Forever Eyes, but with much effort, look beyond the here and now. The suffering is nothing compared to an eternity with the Lord.

Transformed Suffering

There are so many examples throughout the history of the church of people who have been dealt a terrible physical blow, and yet that very condition has given them a voice for God that they would never have had otherwise.


The apostle Paul left us the ultimate example of looking at suffering through Forever Eyes when he faced a debilitating disability. He called it a "thorn in my flesh" and referred to it as a "messenger of Satan, to torment me" (2 Cor 12:7).  Three times he pleaded with the Lord to take it away from him.

God responded to his threefold plea:

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weakness, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.      2 Corinthians 12:9-10

Paul was able to arrive at a place of acceptance because he could look beyond the current suffering to see the eternal purpose. He saw his suffering through Forever Eyes.

Let your life be a testimony to God. He is our Savior, Healer, and Lord. He is all around you. He will never leave you or forsake you.

No comments:

Post a Comment