Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Change: What's So Hard About It?

Orva came to work for me after retiring.  She wasn’t ready to retire, so at seventy she worked part-time to help me promote my new radio program.  After being in the radio business for thirty-five years, she knew how to do it, and she had connections.  What a blessing to have Orva on my team.  She had the energy and drive of a forty-year-old.

But – there was this thing called a computer! She had never used one before, and I had computerized our operation from the beginning.  In order to work for me, she would have to learn to use a computer at age seventy.  Most people would have said, “I can’t learn a computer; I’m too old,” and never even tried.  But not Orva.

“I’m not going to let some machine get the best of me,” was her attitude.  So she tackled that computer. Only later did I learn how frightened she was of it; she never let on.  But little by little she learned how to use that computer. By rote, for the most part, but efficiently and effectively.

Orva was willing to take a risk, to stick her neck out, and to change the way she had done things all through her career.  She didn’t try to talk me out of using computers; she knew it was the way of the future. So she changed herself.

Change – It’s just a word. But when you try to change, you discover it’s more than just a word – it’s a challenge.  Few of us welcome change into our lives; most people go kicking and screaming into any kind of change. It’s risky; it’s unknown; it’s uncomfortable; it’s hard work. No wonder w run from it. But we can never improve or grow without changing.  Thriving from nine to five is directly related to your willingness to change. 

No comments:

Post a Comment