Tuesday, January 19, 2016

"Zero Budgeting" Our Lives to Fit God's Plans

In business and in government we hear the term "zero-budgeting,” a process that starts each yearly budget at zero. Everything is the budget is up for scrutiny and reconsideration;  each budget item must be justified. For example, if you had a budget last year for travel, you may or may not have it next year.  Before the money will be approved, you must demonstrate a need for it.

At the end of his ministry, Jesus was able to say that he had completed the work the Father gave him to do. That's because his agenda was always the Father's agenda. Time and again he said "I do what the Father tells me to do." 

For us to be able to finish the work God has for us to do, we need to start at point zero and say, "Lord, what would you have me to do?" We also need to ask ourselves some penetrating questions, such as:

•Is there anything I have I said that I would never do? Is that my agenda, or God's?

•Are there any areas in my life where I keep saying,  "Hands off—don't touch this, God"?

•What assumptions do I have about what God wants me to do, or not to do? Are those assumptions from God, or are they my own?

Zero-budgeting may lead us to some radical changes, or it may confirm for us that we're to stay where we are, doing what we're doing. But when we give God permission to set the agenda, then we have tremendous peace and freedom and we can say with Jesus, "I have brought you glory on earth by completing the work you gave me to do.”

I have brought you glory on earth by completing the work you gave me to do.

                                                                                                                                                John 17:4

No comments:

Post a Comment