Tuesday, December 1, 2015

A Critical Heart

I’m pretty quick with the criticism. I can size people up before they open their mouths. And yet, I always want people to give me a break. Can’t you understand that I’m busy, and that’s why I didn’t speak to you? Don’t you see how tired I am and that’s why I seemed abrupt? Surely you realize that I have an appointment in ten minutes and I can’t be late?

Jesus has given us some very practical and important directives about being critical and judgmental. If we want people to give us a break and not judge our book by its cover or jump to unfair conclusions, we’ve got to do the same for them.

Often we judge people by their bad moments and then we keep that image of their bad moment with us at all times. Think about your rushed days and bad moments–would you want your reputation to be damaged because someone saw you at a bad time and kept that impression of you uppermost in his or her mind? 

If we want others to be kind in their judgments of us, to give us a break, then we must extend the same privilege to them. A judgmental, critical spirit is anything but Christ-like. Hold your critical thoughts and tongue today; tell yourself you probably don’t know the whole story; choose instead to think of some positive things about that person. Remember, every time you choose to judge someone else, you are heaping judgment on yourself.

Do not judge, or you too will be judged.  For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

                                                                                                                                                Matthew 7:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment