Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Common Mistakes Singles Make



I'm going to talk about some common mistakes singles make. I've written a book by that title, and believe me, I'm totally qualified to speak on the topic, since I'm single and I've made a lot of mistakes. 

If you're a single Christian woman, tell the truth: Have you ever said, "Where can you find a really outstanding Christian man?" I admit, it's not easy. I'm sure men think it's not easy to find just the woman they want either, but it's no secret that there are usually more women than men involved in church and Christian groups. 

What is your first thought when you see or meet a new Christian man? Let me guess: Is he single? Or Is he taken? That’s a pretty normal first thought, but we need to learn to immediately abandon that line of thinking. Grab that thought pattern and refuse to go there. So much of this battle is in our minds, so don’t allow yourself to think of men as potential partners.

It’s not wrong to pray that God will fulfill your desire to be married, but that prayer has to conclude with “Nevertheless, not my will but Thine be done,” as Jesus prayed. 

Telling God there is only one option for our lives and insisting that marriage is the only acceptable plan demonstrates our total lack of trust in a God who created us, knows us better than we know ourselves, and has good plans for us.

Do you find you are feeling sorry for yourself or commiserating with other single women about the shortage of men? This is an easy trap to fall into, but I urge you to discourage these conversations.

They certainly do you no good and they can keep you mired in negative thinking.

Not having a man in your life is not the end of the world. You’re not in an eternal holding pattern. Life doesn’t begin with marriage! While it’s totally normal to desire marriage and a family, it’s a sign of maturity when you can trust God with your future. And that battle is in your mind!


If you’re single or know someone who is, you might want to get a copy of my book, Common Mistakes Singles Make. It is on sale this week for $4 this including shipping.  

No comments:

Post a Comment