Thursday, July 23, 2015

Defeating Discouragement


Have you ever had an experience like Alexander from the book Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day? For me, it has been a terrible, no good, very bad few months.  

Now discouragement is something I don’t feel very often, but all these little problems are starting to cause a feeling of defeat in my life. Thankfully, I recognized early on how I was feeling and saw my need to rely on God through this trial. But during this time I have to constantly remind myself to turn to God to sustain me and not earthly things.

In Mary Whelchel’s Bible Study Defeating Discouragement she focuses each chapter on someone from the Bible who has been discouraged. It was so great to read that I am not the only one that wants to run away and sleep all day when facing tough situations. It’s been going on for thousands of years!

Elijah (1 Kings 18:36-40) needed rest in the middle of his struggle and ate for health to continue his journey for Christ. How important is this to realize that rest is needed while facing trials and so is eating for health. I often feel guilty when I rest b/c I have a long list of “to do’s” running through my head and yet, after reading this story, it was comforting to see it is not a sin or laziness to “rest” when in the midst of the storms in our life.

God also led Elijah to Elisha (1Kings 19:19-21). Elisha was Elijah’s encourager to keep on going on.  I want to encourage you today, wherever you may be, to pray and ask God to bring an Elisha into your life to help love you through whatever trial you may be facing. 

"Hope is one of the missing ingredients in our lives when we are discouraged. God wants us to have hope, and that’s why we have the written scriptures. They give us hope. Therefore, as you and I study these godly people of the Bible, it will build our hope and faith.”  Mary Whelchel

For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. Romans 1: 4


For more helpful and biblical advice on how to defeat the discouragement, you may be facing now, order a copy of Mary Whelchel’s Bible Study Defeating Discouragement.  Our Bible Studies are on sale this summer for only $5.  Take advantage of this deal by calling 630-462-0552 or order online.

No comments:

Post a Comment