Tuesday, September 3, 2013
7 Steps to Stay Positive in a Negative World
Many workplaces are full of negativity and it’s very easy to allow yourself to be pulled into it before you know it. Paul wrote to the Philippians: “Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice” (Philippians 4:4). One of our trademarks as believers in a negative world should be our joyful, positive attitudes. But you have to work at it; it won’t just happen. Here are seven power points to help you stay positive in a negative world.
1. Determine your “negative pulls.”
What or who is it that can quickly and repeatedly cause you to become negative? Write them down.
2. Pray about each of these "negative pulls" daily.
Pray for understanding and compassion
Pray for endurance
Pray for God's perspective
3. Learn to reframe your “negative pulls.”
Put them in a different frame. Ask God to help you see that situation or that person through His eyes. Focus on the positive rather than the negative things.
4. Stop trying to control the uncontrollable things/people associated with your “negative pulls.”
Learn to let go and “cast all your anxiety upon him because he cares for you” (1 Peter 5:7).
5. Focus on controlling the controllable things.
What can you control? (Usually it is mostly yourself!) Pray for God’s grace and wisdom to control what you can.
6. Avoid negative self-talk.
Don’t allow yourself to say negative things to yourself or about yourself, even in your thought life. Stop in the middle of negative thinking or talking and change it.
7. Save your emotional energy for important issues rather than things that don't really matter.
8. Ask yourself, “What difference will this make in 24 hours?”
And if it won’t matter much in 24 hours, don’t allow yourself to become agitated, angry, irritated or frustrated about it. It doesn’t matter!
These seven principles will enable you to stay positive and joyful, no matter how negative your world may sometimes be!