Tuesday, September 18, 2012

What's Your Excuse For Not Praying?

The Bible says to pray about everything. The Apostle Paul wrote:

"Pray continually" (1 Thess 5:17).
"And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests" (Ephesians 6:18).
 
Yet not many of us really pray about everything.  Why not? Here’s one common excuse:

1. "I forget."
Forgetting to pray about something or someone is very easy to do.  That's the reason that I advocate using a Prayer Journal, to help us remember what and who to pray for.  If you've never used a Prayer Journal, I've designed one that you can order from us, and you may find it helpful.
 
If I did not use a prayer journal, I would forget so many that I really want to pray for.  So, I really encourage you to use some type of a prayer journal to help you remember.

2.  "Seems too trivial."
First Peter 5:7 says:  "Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you."

We have a misconception of God when we think he's too busy to be involved in the little things.  God has infinite capacity.  He doesn't experience burnout like we do!  Trust Him!  He can handle all your trivialities!

3.  "Don't know how to pray about it."
Romans 8:26b says:  We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express.

Isn’t that a marvelous promise?  The Spirit intercedes for us when we’re at a loss for words.  When you're baffled, when you're too emotionally involved to be objective, when you're totally discouraged or confused, ask the blessed Holy Spirit to pray for you in words that you cannot express.

4.  "I know God is displeased with me because I have not obeyed Him."
Psalm 66:18 says "If I had cherished sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened." 
 
Cherishing sin is when we know what God wants us to do and we haven't done it.  In other words, disobedience.  I strongly encourage you to deal with any areas of disobedience in your life at once.  If you don't, prayer becomes futile, because God is not listening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment