Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Do I Walk Like Bob?

This is Bob our office visitor and Mary's Grand-dog.

Do I walk like Bob?

I’m dog-sitting my Grand-dog, Bob, this week, and we take long walks together.  He loves to walk and he begins at a very fast pace, dragging me along behind.  But about half-way through, his enthusiasm wanes, and he just decides to sit down in the middle of the Prairie Path.  Although I’ve carefully explained to him that you cannot sit down in the middle of the path, he has little regard for the “rules of the road.”

I was thinking today how often my walk with God is like Bob’s.  I can start out very enthusiastically, but when the going gets a little tough, or when fatigue sets in, I just want to sit down spiritually.  Paul wrote:

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith (2 Timothy 4:7)

Finishing well is so important.  How many of us start our “walks” like Bob, but eventually end up on the sidelines?  In the next verse Paul tells us that the crown of righteousness is for those who finish well.  I don’t think I’ll ever train Bob to finish well, but I sure want to have a crown of righteousness to cast at Jesus’ feet when I see him in Heaven.  Don’t you?

No comments:

Post a Comment