Friday, March 18, 2011

The Trouble With Truth

 Jesus said: "You will know the truth and the truth will set you free" (John 8:32). Truth sets you free from error, free from bad choices, free from sin and its consequences. The converse is also true: error binds us. Any untrue belief we have puts us into bondage. If that is true, you’d think everyone would want to know the truth, wouldn’t you? But people have often suppressed the truth, exchanged it for lies, rejected it, denied it. In fact, today many believe that truth is relative and everyone's opinion is right. Well, you are entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own truth!

Since truth sets us free, why do so many of us either run from it, ignore it, or reject it? Here's the key truth about truth: Truth Hurts.

I got a phone call once where someone told me some truth about myself that was painful. My reflex was to drown it in busyness. I told myself it wasn't that important. The truth hurt, and my natural reaction was to run away from the pain.

Finally I said, "Mary, this is the truth about you and you better face it and do something about it." If you refuse to take the pain of truth, then it can never set you free.

Can you think of where the truth about yourself is painful and therefore you've been denying it, or ignoring it or shifting the blame? We all need to face the truth even though it hurts. It won't hurt as much as you think it will, and once you face it you can do something about it.

Truth hurts, but if we let it, it will also set us free.

3 comments:

  1. Great post... This will be a great think to think about all week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad it stirred your thoughts. Maybe you can challenge someone else with it too.

    ReplyDelete