Friday, January 7, 2011

Quiet Time in a Noisy Life?

“I know that I need to read my Bible and pray each day, but as a single working mom (or business executive with long hours, or teacher with papers to grade, or ??) there is no time. I feel guilty about it, but I just can’t put another thing in my schedule.” Have you ever thought like that about having a quiet time reserved for your relationship with God?

There are a lot of reasons our lives are crowded, but we need time with the Lord in order to have the strength and joy we need. How can we fit quiet time realistically into a noisy life?

I’ve used what I call “no-brainer time” for prayer. For example, when I’m driving, I pray out loud. When I’m dressing in the morning, taking a shower, blow drying my hair—I use that time to talk to the Lord.

There are lots of ways to listen to the Bible while driving or exercising or cooking or cleaning. So, I use these no-brainer times to have time with Jesus. I’ve discovered I can make it work if I really want to.

The busier Jesus was, the more he took time to be with his Father. It is in our most pressurized circumstances that we most need the peace and guidance that comes from time with the Lord.

When I try to save time in my schedule by foregoing my time with God, I find that all kinds of things go wrong, and I am far more stressed and less productive than usual.

Most of us manage to do what we truly want to do. The beginning of a new year gives us a good opportunity to put new practices in place. Seeking first the kingdom of God and his righteousness must be our highest priority, regardless of our busy schedules—no, because we have busy schedules.

Do you have suggestions to offer someone struggling with having a Quiet Time?

4 comments:

  1. The more time I give to God, and by that I mean giving up a part of myself, I find that I end up with more time. "Tithing" your time is no different that tithing your money. I don't have it down perfectly. In fact, I'm not even sure I have it down imperfectly! I just know what I know because I have done it in the past, both with money and time. Not just a check mark to say I have done it, but really spending time with God as if with a friend.

    It takes time to be a mother. It takes time to be a wife. It takes time to be a friend. Isn't our relationship with God, who is supposed to be our Lord, more important than any other? It is hard to put Him in first place, but if we do, we never regret it. Yes, I know...I need to listen to my own words! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an inspiration! Good thoughts. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Too often I place the pressure on myself to have long times with the Lord to read and pray like I've done when not working full-time. However, when that doesn't happen, I slip into the "I'm failing" mentality because it's "all or nothing." But recently I've been thinking that it's kind of like exercise: we may not "have time" to do a long run every day, for example, but to do something, even if it's just for a little while, is beneficial for the soul. It's also a deep comfort that the Spirit of God is present with us everywhere, and we can commune with God in traffic, in our workplaces and while running errands. Thanks for the encouragement, Mary. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right, Sarita, a little is better than nothing. Short conversations keep us in touch. One Bible verse can speak to us as much as a long passage. It's good to know God is always near, even when we're on-the-go. Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete