Saturday, December 18, 2010

How To Be Merry This Christmas

As I’ve been hearing the Christmas story again during this Christmas season, I’ve seen in a fresh way the kind of woman Mary was—a woman of praise. The Magnificat shows us that she praised God in spite of the problems that lay ahead for her, and they were significant.

Just take a look at Luke 1:46-55. In this brief praise/prayer Mary praised God for his favor toward her. She had a praising heart. I’ve noticed that Mary used Scripture to recite back to the Lord in praise. That's a wonderful way to praise God, by reciting Scripture. I’d like to suggest that we could use this wonderful Magnificat for our own personal praise time this season. The Psalms are also full of praise passages we could refer to.

So often this season I see the negative. People are struggling with joblessness, financial stress, the bitter cold and snow, illness. But I think it’s important to develop a heart of praise. This Christmas season would be a wonderful time to do just that. Maybe the Magnificat can get us started: “My soul glorifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.”

With that thought, I can see this as a truly merry Christmas.

2 comments:

  1. There is always reason for praise, even in the depths of despair. It may be harder then, but maybe more necessary than praise when times are good. Thank you, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jean, for your viewpoint. Praise isn't easy, but it is a discipline that reaps great benefits.

    ReplyDelete