Sunday, November 28, 2010

I’m Talkin’ About Change

They tell us it takes 21 days to break an old habit, and 65 days to establish a new one! Wow, change comes hard and slow for us, doesn't it?

Have you ever said, "I've really tried to change but it just never works!"?

You know, in order to change, we first have to realize we can't do it. Sounds like a contradiction, but Paul wrote to the Corinthians that it's only when we see how weak we are that we can be strong. So often I become discouraged with my inability to change myself. But when I finally give up, I can hear Jesus say, "I've been waiting for you to realize you'll never make it on your own."

Maybe you need to begin the change process by admitting that you can't. But don't stop there; ask the Lord to change you through his strength. And then be willing to put the discipline in place that change requires.

As soon as we start to change anything, we go into a transition period which is anything but comfortable. But if we refuse or postpone change because we don't want to go through that uncomfortable stage, then we stagnate where we are. In order to improve, it is necessary to change.

Paul said, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Through Christ we can change, if we're prepared to live through the transition period and not allow those uncomfortable feelings to keep us from changing. Are you ready to go for it? Then, as Nike says, "Just do it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment