Monday, September 6, 2010

What You Can Do About Jealousy

This week I’m discussing jealousy in our broadcasts. One listener asked this question: “I’ve been given an honor by my company, and now my coworkers think I’m acting differently. I’ve asked God to forgive me if I’ve been prideful, but I sincerely don’t think I have been. How do I handle this?” Jealousy is interfering in this person’s work relationships.

It’s amazing how quickly former friends can turn on us when that green-eyed monster called jealousy rears its ugly head. Wise Solomon wrote in Proverbs 27:4: “Anger is cruel and fury overwhelming, but who can stand before jealousy?” In other words, it is more difficult to deal with jealousy than anger or fury. Would you agree?

When dealing with jealousy in the workplace, my advice is to pray for your coworkers and make sure you keep a heart of compassion for them. Do not be bitter toward them, but neither should you feel guilty about a deserved honor. Treat those around you with kindness. Let God’s love for them flow through you, and leave the results to God. You can’t change them; only God can do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment