Friday, September 3, 2010

Thoughts In a Sling

I had rotator cuff surgery a week ago. Now, I suppose that there should be some spiritual lesson to learn from having your right arm in a sling for three or four weeks, but quite honestly, for me it's just another reminder that the world revolves very well without my total involvement. There are times you simply have to let things go. For a driver personality, with very little patience to begin with, I am learning that I can't make my shoulder heal instantly, and therefore, I must be patient even with myself and my body! But I'm very grateful for the medical advances that are available to us today, because even a few short years ago this would have been a much longer recovery. I look forward to the day when I'm out of the sling, out of the pain, and able to function at 100%. Until then - God is still sovereign!

4 comments:

  1. Ouch! I had the surgery in December! Painful & moments of misery! Mine was compared to a major league baseball pitchers shoulder at the end of their career.

    Stay in prayer because there is a light at the end of the long tunnel. Even after the sleepless nights in the recliner, unable to straighten or curl your hair alone. The crying because you feel defeated and unable to do your normal busy schedule. Very few understand the excitement you will have when you can touch the top of your head and strap your bra from behind again. Believe me your fellow rotator cuff repair woman friends will understand!

    Best advice I can give one driver personality to another. TYPE, write, and use your right arm as LITTLE as possible! Otherwise you end up with some terrible "tennis elbow" and your healing process is extended! You'll be having physical therapy for both! Also buy some BioFreeze after your little incisions are healed. It comes in great for after physical therapy. Finally after you can touch the top of your head again & strap your bra.... go get a massage! You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan, this is wonderful advice and great encouragement on a day when I espcially need it! I will heed your suggestions. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about being quiet - I had a cyst out on August 30 that required 2 weeks off of work. This past week I was back at it full bore and today I am paying the price - my incision is "noisy"! My doctor said to listen to my body, and today it is insisting on rest! I hope your recuperation is coming along well. God Bless! Your ministry continues to be a blessing to me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate your comments. I, too, have a difficult time with "moderation." Guess we're learning some lessons!

    ReplyDelete