Monday, September 27, 2010

If Only I Could Get a Drink of Water

This question has recently come my way: Lately I’ve been spiritually dry and I’m afraid this is going to harm my testimony on the job. How do I get out of a dry spiritual condition?

Every Christian I know has faced this dilemma. The heavens seem shut, and our desire to read the Bible and pray is dormant. We’re thirsty, but a drink of water seems out of reach. How do we get out of this state?

In writing of these dry periods, the prophet Habakkuk says “Yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my savior.” In order to apply this, I have found that I simply must set my will to continue to do what I know is right, and trust God to bring me out of this dryness in his time. I need to review what God has promised, what he offers me, and how he has demonstrated his love for me. I must rely on his Word, not on my feelings, and keep going back for reminders.

This is learning to walk by faith not by sight, and it can be a very meaningful time in our lives. You too probably have experience in walking through a time like this. How did you get through it to the other side? Did you find a good water source?

No comments:

Post a Comment