Monday, August 23, 2010

What Could You Do To Manage Your Time Better?

This week I’m talking about time management on The Christian Working Woman radio program. This scenario fits the topic, so just imagine the scene:

Julie: Oh, my goodness, it's three o'clock already and I haven't finished that layout design. I promised the client he could see a sketch tomorrow. Wow, where does the time go? (Phone rings) Oh, hi, Jim. Sure I'll be glad to look at your new idea–just e-mail it to me. (Hangs up)

Sadie: (Walking in) Julie, didn't you have an article on that new software upgrade? I'd sure like to see that if you have it.
Julie: Yeah, it's here somewhere. (Scans her document files) I don't know where I put it, but I'll find it and send it to you, Sadie, okay?
Sadie: Sure, but I need it today if possible.

Julie: No problem! (Sadie leaves) How am I ever going to get this sketch done with all these interruptions?

Are you having difficulty managing your time? Interruptions are one chief culprit that can keep us from getting our work done on time, so we need to learn to manage them well. To be good stewards, we all need to learn some good time management techniques. I try to remember what Paul wrote to the Ephesians: Therefore be careful how you walk... making the most of your time, because the days are evil (Ephesians 5:15-16).

I think this reminder should help us get serious about making the most of our time. Do you have other pointers to help?

1 comment:

  1. Set your phone to "DO-NOT-DISTURB".

    If someone interrupts you with a request, have them email YOU with the request. That way it will not be forgotten, and you can then respond with a time-line that will work for you. In other words, do not promise immediate action. Instead, promise that you will take action as soon as it is permissible for you to do so.

    If you have a door, shut it. If not, put up a sign stating that you are working on a deadline.

    Setup a schedule that works for you, and email that schedule to all pertinent people, including a specific time that people can feel free to approach you.

    ReplyDelete