Friday, August 27, 2010

How to Make Worry Work for You

Worried that you may have to re-locate for your job? Afraid to go to the doctor about the pain in your chest? Losing sleep over your review next week? How many more things cause you to worry?

You know, of course, worry can be harmful:

  • It builds stress up in your mind and body that can lead to illness
  • It causes you to lose sleep
  • It leads to over-eating, over-caffeinating, over-medicating
  • It distracts your focus from other important matters
  • It yields a long list of negative returns

But if it has bad returns, why do I say it can work for you? What if it can work to bring something positive to our lives? Then we should try to use it that way.

Look at Joshua 1:9: Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go. When I realize that I’m bogged in worry, I try to stop the struggle for a minute and look at my problem in light of this verse. That means first meditating on who the “LORD your God” really is.

In the context He was the God who won miraculous battles, led the people in specific ways, energized Joshua with unique ideas for conquest, brought justice, gave unusual wisdom for crisis, provided solutions for physical and emotional needs, and restored courage in the weak-kneed.

That’s the God who says He will go with me wherever I go. He will not leave me alone to deal with my trouble. That pretty much covers all the issues I worry about. On the strength of His character, my part is to choose to take off fear and discouragement and put on strength and courage. Doing that has taken me to places I could never have gone to alone.

Worry works for me when it sends me to Him. Worry works when it makes me consider His Word. Worry works when it opens me to Truth. How has worry worked for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment