Monday, April 12, 2010

How do you mend a relationship?

I'm just wondering- have you ever had a relationship go cold on you, and you had no idea why?  What is our responsibility as believers when we sense something is wrong, and we search our memories to determine if we've caused a hurt or offense, and finding nothing, what are we to do?

I've been puzzled about this lately, and finally left a voice mail that said, "If I've done anything to offend you, please forgive me," which did generate a callback, but it didn't seem to make any difference.  Though this person declared there was no problem, there's just no doubt that the relationship has changed and not for the better.

If you have encountered this kind of challenge, how did you handle it?  The Bible says if we have something against someone, we are to go to them directly.  But this shoe is on the other foot--so I'm not sure if I should try further or just pray and wait and see.  Appreciate your thoughts!

1 comment:

  1. I have either tried to confront the person or prayed about it. However I learned that sometimes it is not my fault and that the other person should be allowed to think about their responsibility.

    I know I heard on Moody Radio just recently that God wants us to forgive, but not to just allow the person who sinned to go "scott free."
    Be humble and loving and willing to talk, but if the relationship is strained, know the other person is the one who is being convicted and needs to make amends with God and you!

    ReplyDelete