Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Dealing with Discouragement

I've written a Bible study entitled "Defeating Discouragement," so I should have it down pat, right?  Wrong!  I battle discouragement like everyone else, and because I'm in a visible leadership position, I feel as though I shouldn't admit it or let it show.  But that isn't a healthy way to deal with discouragement.

I have to remind myself that discouragement comes and goes--it's part of life.  And then I have to do what I know I should do, whether I feel like it or not!  There's something to the idea of just "bucking up" sometimes and putting discipline in place and keeping on keeping on!

God doesn't waste anything in our lives, not even discouragement.  And I was thinking that it's good to feel discouraged at times in order to relate to others, in order to practice what I preach, and in order to admit that I'm desperate without God!  How do people cope with discouragement when they don't know Jesus?  I wonder.

I've begun writing a new book which I'm calling "Get Over It."  So, I'll just use that medicine on myself today and say, once again, "Mary, get over it!"

1 comment:

  1. I think showing discouragement as a Christian can be a good thing. Just like showing the sinful side is good for a preacher. You just have to do it in the right way, realizing that you are just like everyone else. But in your discouragement, you have Someone who will always listen and help you get through those times. It is good, perhaps essential, that you show others how you let Jesus help you through those times. If everyone, believers and especially non-believers, cannot see the way out, then what is to entice them to believe?

    ReplyDelete